Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Food and Politics

Election day usually means that I treat myself to some sort of politically themed alcoholic beverage.  I try to drink a few of them while I am ranting about the election returns and how this time I am serious about moving outside the United States.  This beverage of choice this year is the Dark and Stormy.  There is no shortage of symbolism in the drink's name, but I am drinking it out of desire and convenience.  I will also decide on a food option over the next few hours.  Either way, I think that the first Tuesday in November is always a fine excuse for something tasty.

I also wanted to use this post as an excuse to link up a post from the weekend.  Obama was in Philly on Saturday giving a speech to volunteers at Temple University.  On his way back from the speech he stopped by Famous Deli on 4th and Bainbridge.  The deli is widely known for its massive sandwiches that you end up eating for three days after.  It is also an essential stop on a Philly politics reality tour because of the many local officials that go there on a regular basis.  If you were to goto Famous Deli right now you would see a lot of politicians and poll workers stopping for an election day meal.  I had dinner there on Thursday night when Bill Clinton was here campaigning.  I thought there would be an off chance that he might stop by the deli after his appearance, but he did not.  Instead of Clinton I was able to see retired District Attorney Lynne Abraham chowing down in her stonewashed jeans.  Sort of a humorous consolation.

I am certainly not the first to mention the food and politics of Famous Deli, but in the spirit of election day it is a nice reminder.

link: Philadelphia Lunch Stop: President Obama Visits "Famous 4th Street Delicatessen" [Obama Foodorama]

No comments:

Post a Comment